I had a complete Mean Girls moment today. I was in math class and I had to go to the bathroom. At SOTA you hardly ever ask to go to the bathroom. Usually you just take the pass and walk out, especially in a math class where the teacher is busy explaining things.  While there are some policies here that are more strict than in the U.S., like the importance of attendance, generally this school is pretty relaxed. The teachers dress casually every day, you call all of them by their first names, etc. I assumed going to the bathroom would be equally relaxed, and I left the class quietly as I would in the U.S. I was very embarrassed a few moments later when, as I was drying my hands, a classmate came into the bathroom looking for me. Apparently the class was convinced I must have been very upset to leave the room so "suddenly". In hindsight a school that is so strict about attendance probably doesn't like kids to leave the room without warning, but I never thought a scene from Mean Girls would become my reality. 

Mental note made: ask to go to the bathroom.

Comments

  1. Great story - hahahaha - one of those memorable cultural gaffes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Home

Monthly Report 10: May