First Day of School
The foreign exchange students joined school a week late. Luckily for me though, the other American exchange student and one other Dutch kid that I knew had the exact same schedule as me, so it wasn't hard to find a familiar face.
Biking to school was easy, though while I did get caught in the rain I'm accepting that this will probably be a common theme in my life this year. None of the exchange students have books yet, so we couldn't do anything in class besides sit there and try to read out assignments as best we could. The only class taught in English is English, so hopefully that will motivate some fast learning. For the most part the other students are talking in English, though I've been encouraging them to speak Dutch to help me.
I brought jolly ranchers to school, so I was very popular during free time when everyone wanted to try American candy.
Here's a link to the school's website if you want to check it out. The Dutch school system is a lot different than ours in America.
I also had my first Kung-Fu class today. I'm very fortunate that the husband of my exchange student coordinator teaches Kung-Fu, and was willing to take me under his wing. He just wanted to show me the art to see if I'd like it, and I'm already pretty confident that I'll take it up. I'm very excited for the opportunity to try a new martial art after six years of Karate. I knew that Kung-Fu would be a lot different than Karate, but I still expected them to be more similar than what I got tonight. The two styles are infinitely different, but I felt that having a background in martial arts was helpful regardless. The motions in the style are very slight and relaxed, it's quite graceful and quick. Most of the students bike to class, because this is The Netherlands. It was also raining very hard today, because this is The Netherlands. These two things combined meant that only two other students showed up to class today, so the mood was very relaxed. Especially, I think, since there was a newbie in the group who couldn't even speak the language.
It was a very fun experience. I think I did well for my first day, and my thighs are sore so that must mean I did something right. The other guys said I did pretty good, and they laughed when I would run to make sure I was at the back of the line and not accidentally in the middle (in marital arts you often line up by rank, so I would be in the back seeing as it was my first lesson). They thought it was cool that I already knew where I was supposed to stand. I should be going again next week, but there is also a volunteer session to cook dinner for a group of Syrian refugees. Hopefully I can do both, and if not then my second Kung-Fu lesson will just have to wait another week.
I really did enjoy myself though. Tomorrow I start my second day of school. It'll be raining all day, so I'm sure to get wet. Still though, I'm in a good mood from Kung-Fu and more ready than ever to see where the year takes me.
Comments
Post a Comment